Monday 14 May 2007

My first full day of being a blogger begins. Not sure I can be bothered, but we'll see. Why do it? Well it came up during my birthday celebrations last month. I am currently doing research into the nature of blogs; how people use them, who they engage with, their ultimately narrow focus .... so a birthday party attendee challenged me to do one as myself, my first name, no gimmicks.

That's it. So as I sit here at 736 am what I am thinking? Is it of any interest to myself let alone anyone who may come across this

Last night I dreamt about kitchens, or rather one kitchen which was a patchwork of all the kitchens I've ever known, it included the cats and dogs who have inhabitated various kitchens over the years. I sit in my kitchen doing this.

Coffee now made so will drink some.

6 comments:

The Editor said...

I see you've broadened your profile since last night from nothing at all.

Surely blogging is a world of anonymity, otherwise one runs out of things to say?

In the interests of research:

http://thisdonkey.blogspot.com/2006/10/you-think-thats-dumb-what-about-this.html

Amanda said...

I felt I should try and get into the spirit of things but frankly doubt I will continue, not overly concerned by the anonymity issue as those I know have been banned from engaging.

I started the research to make some sense of blogging and I've found,in general it is pretty banal and limited.

Much like this.

The Editor said...

well you could make it all up or at do something purely to give you something to write about, I'll be looking for a terminal in Venice tomorrow night, not that going to Italy was my idea..

Ultimately everythings bollocks anyway and if somethings interesting because its fantastical isn't that just bollocks in a different way because it was just made up?

Amanda said...

Not quite sure what your point is. Having had a scan of your blog it appears you talk about your reality, it does not seem you are indulging in fantasy.

Having a blog seems like hard work, you're taking it on holiday, why?

I'm realising it's more of an intrusion than a freedom. My interest has been with the blogs that are outwith reality which is what led me to the snoring man site but I suppose you raise the point that most are fantastical to a greater or lesser degree.

But that excludes the less personal, the serious blogs, political etc.

There are hundreds maybe thousands of blogs dedicated to dreams, community dream sites and I do not see the point. Public dream diaries I suppose.

The Snoring Man said...

This interaction is surely one of the points.
As to the kitchen(s)which are a central part of life, you are a patchwork of all your experiences, and perhaps people in your life can be fitted into the cat or dog types.
Woof.

The Editor said...

I suppose it allows me to foster the delusion that people are interested in my life/thoughts.

It's also an exercise in trying to make something interesting out of the everyday which maybe does or doesn't work.

A by-product is it seems to keep depression at bay well at least provide a bulwark.

As old Jung said "Man can endure anything except meaninglessness"